Making hemp milk at home is easy and only needs two ingredients. Homemade hemp milk can be prepared in just five minutes. Its inherent sweetness and creaminess make it the ideal ingredient for smoothies, granola, and other dishes. Hemp seeds are the ideal ingredient for a raw food or vegan diet because of their high protein and essential fatty acid content.
The flavour of hemp milk is by nature light and nutty. Feel free to add some sugar, honey, maple syrup, or vanilla extract to make delicious, fresh milk that is ready to drink. You can omit the vanilla and sugar for an even healthier beverage, but some people may find the strong flavour of the seeds a little too much.
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 whole date pitted/ 1 tablespoon maple syrup/ 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 Tablespoon cocoa or cacao powder for “chocolate milk” (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh berries for “berry milk” (optional)
- Mix hemp seeds, water, and any additional optional ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend mixture for one minute, or until completely creamy and smooth.
- You could decide to strain the liquid with cheesecloth to remove hemp seed particles.
- Serve hemp milk right away or store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
In the fridge, homemade hemp milk keeps for up to five days. To ensure maximum freshness, it might be best to consume within the first two to three days.